Thursday, May 19, 2011

Bought Sarah Fragoso's Book

I have been feeling really overwhelmed at the amount of time I spend at each meal preparing and/or cooking food, the expense, and the seeming lack of variety.. and it's only been 3 weeks since we started. First, the expense. I have been cooking from scratch for a long time. I baked our own bread and muffins and stuff, made our own casseroles, and I don't buy convenience foods very often. I also buy meat when it's on sale and cheap. So, for the seven of us, I used to feed us dinner for around (usually a little less) $10. Breakfast would be less than that and so would lunch. Now, eating paleo, the cost of food is at least double.

Second, the time. Most days I enjoy cooking dinner and creating something amazing that the whole family (with the exception of one picky person) will like. But, now I am cooking breakfast and having to prepare something more for lunch other than a quick sandwich. It took me an hour to make breakfast this morning. It left me feeling a bit tired.

Third, the variety. Ok ok. I know there is a lot of ways to prepare meat. Fabulous ways, actually. But, when you can only afford the cheapest cuts of beef, pork, and chicken it's hard to enjoy the same type of tough meat over and over again. Hopefully, we will find a somewhat inexpensive supplier of yummy fish, but it is all around here it is expensive!! (My mom fishes, I may have to use her skill to stock my freezer the next time I can go visit her.) And honestly? How many nights are we supposed to like having broccoli, spinach, or cauliflower?

So, feeling utterly overwhelmed with our "new" diet (we've done it before), I went to the bookstore and bought Sarah Fragoso's book Everyday Paleo. I payed way too much for it (amazon has it for $8.00 less), but that's what I get for convenience and a little peace of mind. I am hoping the ideas and recipes in her book will help me create a menu to help me through this slump.

No comments:

Post a Comment