Thursday, June 13, 2013

Flax Seed and Nut Granola

Here is my very first recipe for you! I found this "granola" recipe over 5 years ago. I absolutely love the flavors in it. When you go to the store for your ingredients, do your best to get quality ingredients. The hole point of eating healthy is to be healthy and that means to quit putting frankenfoods in your body. (sorry, rant over). 


Flax Seed and Nut Granola
(adapted from www.mrbreakfast.com)

1 cup flax seeds
1 cup sunflower seeds
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
1 cup chopped pecans
1 cup chopped walnuts
1 cup chopped almonds
1 stick of butter -- melted (I tried cutting the butter down in this one, it really needs the butter. It didn't turn out right.)
2 teaspoons cinnamon
2 teaspoons vanilla powder (sugar and alcohol-free). (This was a little expensive. From what I have read, you can sustitute extract for powder equally.)
1/4 Cup Honey 

In a large pan or wok, over low/medium heat melt the butter and honey together. When the butter is completely melted add the spices. Stir until everything is completely mixed together. Dump the nuts and the coconut into the mixture and coat everything really well. Stir the mixture constantly until it is all golden in color. Dump onto parchment paper immediately to cool. 

2 comments:

  1. That sounds so delicious. How much do you think it costs to make?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I normally have all these ingredients on hand, so I am not sure. I will start keeping an eye out on the cost of these things and do a break down for you in the future.

    ReplyDelete