Friday, June 14, 2013

30 Day Challenge -- Day 5

I truly believe in eating whole foods in their most natural state (except for chips). For instance, I saw this article: "Splenda goes from 'safe' to 'caution' after leukemia found in mice."  For years I have heard, read, or been told how safe Splenda is. I am glad I listened to my gut and chose not to use this product, except very rarely. Luckily, my poison of choice is black coffee (I am sure many of you can tell me what is wrong with coffee and caffeine) and I am very fortunate to not have a sweet tooth, usually. So, for me, it is easy to stay away from artificially sweetened foods.

Eating Paleo and eating whole foods can be very expensive. I get super tired of the Paleo crowd touting the same speech of "yeah, but if you buy the right foods now (organic, grass fed), you will save thousands later in medical bills." I personally can not afford organic and/or grass fed. If I don't have the cash, then guess what? I don't have the cash. And before anyone tells me we don't need things like cable tv... we don't have things like cable tv.

So, how do I do Paleo? I buy regular food. I buy vegetables on sale (which tend to be what's in season) and meat that has been marked way down or is on a major sale. I use canned tuna that I get for 65 cents a can during a case lot sale. Some day, probably when my 5 children move out, I will be able to buy all organic, grass fed everything. For now, I am looking to feed us the best way possible with the resources we have. (This might also mean we have to add rice and beans back into our diet in the future).

Day 5
This morning we started our day much earlier. Our 1.6 mile walk was much more enjoyable in the cooler weather and we were able to talk my hubby into going with us. It was very nice.

Breakfast: Leftover breakfast from yesterday. That casserole made quite a bit.

Lunch: Leftover (again) Cilantro Lime Cole Slaw with diced chicken breast (also leftover from dinner the other night).

I went to the gym today and did 30 minutes on the recumbent bike at a level 4. I was going to do the Couch 2 5k, but a friend was there and I would much rather work out while chatting with a friend.

Snack: (I have been really hungry today). Small handful of macadamia nuts, two slices roast beef, and a handful of cherry tomatoes.

Ground Beef and Curry Stir Fry

Dinner: I came up with a very yummy stir fry dish. I used some asian vermicelli noodles I got from Costco (aka my favorite store ever) that have an ingredients list of: Peas, Green Beans, Water. We shall see what it does to the hubby's blood sugar (which is how I judge a lot of foods). Luckily, I wrote down all the ingredients and how much of everything I put in. The recipe will be posted very soon. I absolutely LOVE creating a recipe and watching my family enjoy it completely!

No comments:

Post a Comment