Saturday, June 15, 2013

Curried Ground Beef Stir Fry

I love when I follow my gut and whatever dish I am cooking turns out fabulous. It doesn't always happen, but tonight it did. I had some ground beef in the freezer and I really wanted something with an Asian influence. This is the dish I came up with:

Ground Beef Curry Stir Fry

It started with a HUGE bag of frozen stir fry vegetables I got from Costco (aka my favorite store ever). I put some coconut oil in a very large pan over high heat. After the pan and oil were sufficiently hot, I added the frozen veggies and let them cook until soft.


After the veggies were done, I put them in a big bowl and set them aside. I then cooked the ground beef until completely browned.


When the ground beef is done, drain it. Put it back in the pan and add the diced onion and let cook a couple minutes. Then add the most wonderful curry powder ever. Whichever kind you prefer. My favorite is this one I found at a local grocery store (I found you can buy it online here):

My favorite curry powder.
and then I quit taking much needed pictures. 

Except for this beautiful finished product:





Curried Ground Beef Stir Fry
This fed 6 of us with seconds and leftovers. Cut in half you need less. I should warn you, my 7 year old thought this was a little spicy. The rest of us loved it!

58 oz bag frozen stir fry vegetables (I got mine at Costco. It came with sauce that I threw away.)
2 lbs ground beef
1/2 very large onion or 1 small onion, diced
2 Tbsp minced garlic
1 Cup soy sauce
2 tsp. fish sauce
1/4 cup + 2 Tbsp curry powder (I like A LOT of curry)
3-14 oz cans of some kind of broth
1-7 oz package Asian Bean Vermicelli (ingredients are peas, green beans, and water--I found mine at Costco)
3 Tbsp coconut oil (or oil of your choice)

Add coconut oil to large pan over high heat. Add veggies and stir every 2 minutes or so until cooked through, set aside. In same large pan, cook ground beef, drain when done, and add back to pan. Add diced onion to ground beef and, stirring occasionally, let cook together for about 4 to 5 minutes. Add garlic and stir thoroughly. Add curry powder, fish sauce, soy sauce, and broth. Stir really well. Let simmer for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add vermicelli noodles (dry) and they will soak up the sauce beautifully. Make sure you stir and get the noodles mixed around. Add veggies and mix well. Take off heat and let sit for about 10 minutes. Serve and enjoy.

No comments:

Post a Comment